Looking at the art nouveau research, artists and images I collected, I started drawing a few motifs and shapes for the barley and wheat on the labels. For some shapes I had barley in mind and for other I had wheat.
I then scanned in all the motifs I created, picked my favourite ones and then compiled them in separate documents based on which plant I thought they’d suit the best. I picked these because they’re the more compelling of all the shapes I drew. The barley motifs have straighter lines for the stalks and the hops are more flowing as they are vine plants.
The next step was to gather reference images of barley and hops to enable me to create realistic drawings. The photos are from the internet and also my own photos I took. I selected a number of different images of the plants from different angles with as much detail as possible to fully understand how the plants look.
Using the motifs and reference images, I drew a couple of compositions of the different plants with the art nouveau motifs I chose earlier. The barley sketches in particular I’m really happy with as they’re so much better as art nouveau shapes rather than just standard realistic plants.
The last sketches I did were to properly work out how the plants would look with the art nouveau shapes. The main thing was how I would approach the stalks. I decided to keep them relatively thin but thick enough that the drawings would still be fairly realistic. I also think that the loose petals and leaves give the drawing a sense of movement which I think would work really well with machinery.